BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN – His Majesty the Sultan on Wednesday urged more collaboration between Brunei’s public and private sectors to find effective solutions to serve the people.
Speaking at an event to mark the 25th Civil Service Day, the monarch said the public sector is part of the machinery of national development, and must continuously look for ways to improve the quality of services in the country.
“The situation today is more complex and challenging, but it is also time for us to see the civil service as capable of handling many problems or difficulties,” he said at the International Convention Centre.
Touching on the theme, “Transformation towards a Progressive Civil Service”, His Majesty said good leaders must also be more sensitive to the needs of their subordinates:
The monarch also singled out for praise the government’s Young Executive Programme, a 10-week course which identifies and grooms young civil servants with leadership potential.
During the event, the sultan presented six government departments with the inaugural Public Sector Performance Grading Programme (3PSA) awards for quality service.
The winners were:
- Town & Country Planning Department, Ministry of Development
- Land Department, Ministry of Development
- Immigration & National Registration Department, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Labour Department, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Pharmaceutical Services Department, Ministry of Health
- Syariah Affairs Department, Ministry of Religious Affairs
The awards were introduced back in 2015 as a way to measure the effectiveness of government agencies, and awards star ratings based on each agency’s performance.